1. The History of Fair Rosamond. Philadelphia: Printed for the Booksellers, 1828. (#kfk93) $225.00
2. Aristophanes. Aubrey Beardsley, illustrator. Lysistrata. London: Beardsley Press, 1927. Original silver cloth over black boards. Illustrated.
3. Blake, William, illustrator. Robert Blair. The Grave. London and New York: George Routledge & Sons, Limited and E. P. Dutton & Co., [circa 1906]. Octavo. Original cloth, decorated in black, white and gilt. Very good. (#kfk47) $125.00
4. Browne, J. Ross. Etchings of a Whaling Cruise, with notes of a Sojourn on the island of Zanzibar. To which is added a brief History of the Whale Fishery, it's past and present condition. New York: Harper & Bros.,, 1846. First edition. Original cloth, embossed and gilt. Skillfully recased. Engraved frontispiece and seven engraved plates, with numerous woodcuts in text. A very good copy. Very Good.
5. Bullen, Frank T., F. R. G. S. First Mate. The Cruise of the "Cachalot" Round the World after Sperm Whales. London: Smith, Elder & Co..., 1903. 8vo. Contemporary 3/4 blue morocco, lettered and decorated in gilt on spine. Small abrasion to upper front joint, still a fine copy. Fine.
6. Byron, George Gordon, Lord. Hebrew Melodies... The First New York Edition. New York: Printed and sold by T. & J. Swords, 160 Pearl Street, 1815. First American edition. Duodecimo, 39, [1, blank] pp. Contemporary and probably original mottled calf. Binding with typical edgewear, the spine moreso, numerous ownership inscriptions, an unsophisticated and appealing copy.
7. Cattullus, Caius Valerius. Richard F. Burton and Leonard C. Smithers, translators. The Carmina... Completely Englished into Verse and Prose, the Metrical part by Caprtain Sir Richard F. Burton, and the Prose Portion, Introduction, and Notes Explanatory and Illustrative by Leonard C. Smithers; including the Latin Test of Catullus. New York: Privately Printed for Subscriber's Only, 1928. Octavo. Illustrated. Original parchment backed brown boards, black leather label lettered and ruled in gilt. Edges uncut. Spine toned, near fine.
8. Conrad, Joseph. Typhoon. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1902. First edition. Original cloth lettered and decorated in orange and blue. Near Fine.
9. [Cooper, James Fennimore]. The Bravo: A Tale. Philadelphia: Carey & Lea, 1831. First American edition. Two volumes, octavo. Original boards. With 32pp. publisher's catalogue and 4pp. prospectus for the Encyclopedia Americana bound into volume one.Spines rebacked, volume one with original label, volume two with label and much of original spine laid down. Very Good. (#kfk136) $800.00
10. Dante Alighieri. [Dante Gabriel Rossetto, translator and illustrator. La Vita Nuova (the New Life). London and New York: George Routledge & Sons, Limited an E. P. Dutton & Co., [circa 1908]. Octavo. Original cloth, decorated in black, white and gilt. Very good.
11. Dreiser, Theodore. The Financier A Novel. New York and London: Harper & Brothers, 1912. First printing. Octavo. Original cloth gilt. In half green morocco slipcase with chemise. Small bookplate of Crosby and Hilda Gaige. (#kfk103) $500.00
12. [Emerson, Ralph Waldo.] [Sadi]. Saadi, Musle-Hudeen Sheik of Shiraz. The Gulistan or Rose Garden. Translated from the original by Francis Gladwin. With and Essay on Saadi's life and genius, by James Ross, and a preface by R. W. Emerson. Boston: Ticknor & Fields, 1865. First American edition. Octavo, 379pp. Original green cloth, lettered and decorated in gilt on cover and spine. With the patina of age one might expect in such a volume, a very good copy which shows quite better than that sounds.
13. [French Literature.] Lucas, St. John, compiler. The Oxford Book of French Verse xiiith–xixth Century. Oxford: the Clarendon Press, 1908. Octavo. Full green morocco lettered in gilt for Hatchard's of Piccadilly, a.e.g. Spine slightly sunned else fine. (#kfk51) $225.00
14. [French-English Grammar]. Miege, [Guy] et Boyer, [Abel]. edited with additions by M. Mather Flint. Grammaire Angloise-Françoise, par Mrs. Miege et Boyer, contenant Une Instruction claire & aisée pour acquerir en peu de tems l'usage de L'Anglois. Et enrichie de Regles fondamentales & succintes, pour le parler purement; d'un Vocabulaire assez amle, & des Phrases les plus familieres. Enfin de Dialogues utiles & récréatifs, & des Proverbes les plus Usités, &c. Paris: Chez Briasson... David l'Aîné..., 1756. Duodecimo. Contemporary calf gilt, corners and foot of spine rubbed, signature on title, still a fine copy. (#kfk15) $225.00
15. Greene, Graham. Brighton Rock. An Entertainment. New York: Viking Press, 1938. First edition. Original cloth in pictorial dustwrapper. Slightest edgewear to jacket, but bright and not played with. Housed in a 1/2 blue morocco clamshell box. Fine in near fine dust-jacket.
16. [Greene, Graham. His copy] Sitwell, Edith. The Wooden Pegassus. Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1920. First edition. Octavo. Original half cloth over rose boards. "H. Graham Greene June '23" on inner pastedown.
17. Harte, Bret. [Fables]. George Thomas Lanigan. Fables by G. Washington Æsop and Bret Harte. With Illustrations by F. S. Church. London: E. Hamilton, . First UK edition. Square duodecimo. Original pictorial boards printed in red and black. Minor wear, soiling and staining, very good. Very Good.
18. Hemingway, Ernest. A Farewell to Arms. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1929. First edition. Tall octavo. Original white vellum over paper boards, black label gilt on spine, in original slipcase which has been very skillfully repaired. Housed in a red half morocco clamshell box. A very good or better copy.
19. Kipling, Rudyard. Captains Courageous A Story of the Grand Banks. New York: The Century Company, 1897. First American edition. Octavo. Original green cloth decorated in black, gold, and red. Ownership stamp and inscription on ffep., else a fine copy.
20. La Fontaine, J. de. Tales and Novels in Verse... Illustrated with the Eighty Five Original Plates by Eisen. Paris [and] New York: J. Lemonnyer and E. -F. Bonaventure, 1883. 2 vols, octavo. 3/4 red morocco over marbled boards, spines lettered in gilt in two compartments, the remaining four with a floral device utilizing a green onlay. Some light foxing, edges more so, spines slightly tanned, still a nice copy. (#kfk8) $450.00
21. Lawrence, D. H. Lady Chatterley's Lover. [New York]: William Faro Inc., 1930. First edition thus. Original cloth, paper spine label. Very good.
22. Longus. Daphis and Chloe A Pastoral Romance: translated from the Greek... illustrated with copper-plate engravings after designs by Prudhon, Baron Gerard, and Phillipe d'Orleans, Regent of France. London: Vizetelly and Co., [1890?]. Octavo. 3/4 blue morocco lettered in gilt, t.e.g. for Hatchard's. Spine very slightly sunned, a very good copy. (#kfk52) $300.00
23. [Marcus Aurelius] George Long, translator. The Thoughts of the Emperor M. Aurelius Antonius. Translated by George Long. Second Edition. Revised and Corrected. London: George Bell and Sons, 1875. Octavo. Original blue cloth decorated in blind and lettered in gilt on the spine. Spine just sunned, still a fine copy.
24. Marryat, Frederick. Masterman Ready; or, the Wreck of the Pacific. Written for Young People. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Greene and Longman's, 1841-2. First edition. 3 volumes, duodecimo. Original cloth. Volume two shaken and worn. Housed in an attractive 1/2 morocco slipcase with three chemises. (#kfk119) $750.00
25. Matthews, Brander. A Secret of the Sea. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1886. Original cloth. Front hinge pastedown cracked (the hing itself sound), cocked, but better than it sounds.
26. [Pinkney, Edward Coote]. Look out upon the Stars My Love. A Serenade. Written by a Gentleman of Baltimore, and adopted to a favourite Air, with an accopmaniment for the piano forte and Spanish guitar, by H[enri] N[oel] Gilles. Baltimore: Published by John Cole [Copyright:January 20th, 1823]. First edition. Quarto. Disbound, in a blue cloth chemise.
27. Porter, Katherine Anne. French Song-Book. Paris: Harrison of Paris, 1933. First edition. Original 1/4 cloth over paper boards. Without dust-jacket. Near fine.
28. Pynchon, Thomas. Gravity's Rainbow. New York: Viking, . First edition. Original cloth in pictorial dustjacket. Very fine. Housed in a 1/2 red morocco slipcase and chemise.
29. Pynchon, Thomas. Mason & Dixon. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1997. First edition. Original cloth in dustwrapper and printed glassine. (#kfk145) $200.00
30. Pynchon, Thomas. Mason & Dixon. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1997. First edition, advance reading copy. Original printed wrappers. (#kfk147) $250.00
31. Pynchon, Thomas. V. A Novel. Philadelphia and NY: J. B. Lippencott, . First edition. Original cloth in pictorial dustwrapper. Very fine. Housed in a 1/2 purple morocco slipcase with chemise.
32. Pynchon, Thomas. Vineland. Boston, Toronto, London: Little, Brown and Company, . First edition. Original cloth in pictorial dustwrapper. (#kfk143) $200.00
33. Russell, W. Clark. An Ocean Free-Lance. From a privateersman's log, 1812. London: Richard Bentley and Son, 1882. First edition thus. Octavo. Original dark green cloth tooled in blind and gilt. Armorial bookplate of William H. Gaddum. A near fine copy.
34. [Sappho]. Marion Millis Miller and David Moore Robinson, translators. The Songs of Sappho Including the Recent Egyptian Discoveries. The Poems of Erinna | Greek Poems about Sappho | Ovid's Epistle of Sappho to Phaon... New York: Frank-Maurice, Inc., 1925. First edition thus. Quarto. Original gilt lettered parchment over paper covered boards (cover lettered in gilt); original slipcase. Spine a bit tanned, else fine.
35. Shakespeare, WIlliam. The Complete Works. Oxford: Oxford University Press, . Octavo. Full green calf, spine with tan label, spine slightly faded, else fine. (#kfk84) $250.00
36. [Swift, Jonathan.]. The benefit of farting explain'd : or, the fundament-all cause of the distempers incident to the fair-sex, enquired into. Proving à Posteriori most of the Dis-ordures in-tail'd upon them, are owing to Flatulencies not seasonably vented. Wrote in Spanish by Don Fartinando Puff-indorst Professor of Bumbast in the University of Crackow. And Translated into English at the Request, and for the Use, of the Lady Damp-fart of Her-fart-shire. By Obadiah Fizzle, Groom of the Stool to the Princess Arsimini in Sardinia. Longford, 1722. Calf antique. (#kfk102) $1,500.00
37. [Swift, Jonathan]. Verses on the Death of Doctor Swift. Written by Himmseld: Nov. 1731. London [i.e. Edinburgh]: Printed for C. Bathurst, 1739. First edition thus. Octavo in fours, 22, [2 blank] pp. Disbound pamphlet with new sewing, light stain along left of title, subtle repair along rear blank, very good.
38. Twain, Mark. Extracts from Adam's Diary [with] Eve's Diary. New York and London: Harper and Brothers, 1904 [and] 1906. First editions. Together two volumes, octavo. Original red pictorial cloth, decorated in white and green. Very good or better copies of both titles, nice to find together. Adam's diary is faded on the spine.
39. Twain, Mark. The Private Life of Adam and Eve Being Extracts from Their Diaries. New York and London: Harper and Brothers, . First edition thus. Octavo. Original 1/4 navy cloth with gold spine label over blue paper boards with an illustration of Adam and Eve printed in black. With 100 illustrations by F. Strothman and Lester Ralph. Fine in a good jacket, faded and chipped. Fine in good dust-jacket.
40. Virgil. Publii Virgilii Maronis: Bucolica, Georgica, et Aeneis. Ex editione Petri Burmanni... Glasguæ [Glasgow]: In Aedibus Academicus,Excudebat Andreas Foulis..., 1778. Two volumes, folio. Original boards uncut, spines sympathetically renewed with paper labels. Fine.
41. Voltaire (Arouet François Marie). La Henriade, poème, suivi de quelques autres poèmes. [Kehl]: De l'Imprimerie de la Société Littéraire-Typographique., 1789. Quarto. 311 x 245mm. 624pp. Two portraits and ten dramatic engraved plates after Moreau la Jeune. Early Nineteenth century (perhaps earlier) full green morocco, spine with red onlaid "bands" decorated in gilt forming six compartments, one lettered in gilt, the remaining with a central lozenge surrounded by sprays; covers ruled with gilt rolls, a.e.g. Some very skillful repair to spine, extremities rubbed, occasional spotting; a very good or better copy.
42. Wallace, Susan E. The Storied Sea. Boston: James R. Osgood and Company, 1883. First edition. Twelvemo. Original green cloth lettered and decorated in brown and gilt. Front hinge cracked, shaken, but the cloth still bright.